Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas Program

Earlier this month, A&B had their very first Christmas Program.  I have to admit, I wasn't looking forward to it.  Really, a Christmas Program when they are three years old?  I thought I could get away with it at least until they were in Kindergarten.  In my book, there are a few things that are miserable to sit through.  These things would include music programs and girls basketball games.

In regards to music programs, I think music teachers would be better off to only focus on one song with the class, and do it really well.  This would be better than trying to have them perform five songs that all turn out mediocre.  I'm not just talking about preschool here, I'm talking about elementary, junior high, and high school.  My thoughts include both choir and band.  I think I'm ok to say this since I actually was in music as a kid.  Trust me, I was in the group and I couldn't stand to hear it either.  Why should we make an entire audience suffer through it?  I hope I'm not being too harsh.

In regards to girls basketball games, it usually can't get much worse.  Once again, I played girls basketball, and it isn't pretty.  It is rarely a team of five girls.  I think it consists of a team of four and one point guard who thinks she is queen bee and should be playing on the men's team because she is so good.  Trust me, that person usually isn't good at all, and only confirms her own belief of being good because that is what she has been told her entire life by coaches and parents.  Being from a small town, talent is far and few between.  Even if someone in your school is considered talented in basketball, they usually aren't.  If you put them with the big fish from big schools, they wouldn't make the C team.  (And I've spent many a games on the C team.)  One more thing to vent while I'm on it...the post players run 2x as far as the point guard, or more - why hasn't anyone figured this out?  Since I was tall, this was the position I played.  Let me explain...the rest of the team runs to the other end of the court while the point guard casually walks and dribbles to the three point line because they have a full 10 seconds to get across the court before the whistle blows.  Since the point guard is so awesome, she takes an immediate shot behind the three point line and misses.  The other team rebounds and the posts run all the way to the other end of the court.  Repeat. 

So, there you have it.  I was dreading the Christmas Program.  We got the kids to the school on that Friday night and tried to drop them off at the choir room.  It was full of buzzing kids and overwhelming.  After 15 minutes, and kids finally stayed and didn't try to escape the room.  My expectations were low - if A&B made it on stage, I would be very happy and proud of them.  I didn't expect them to sing.  Even though they had practiced their songs all semester at school, I didn't know what they were and not once did they sing their songs as home.  They have never said the words to an entire kid song in their life, so I didn't expect it to be different today.  Since their preschool was the largest, they went last.  So, we watched about six other preschools/daycares do their songs, and then our kids came on stage.  It was funny to hear the people behind us say, "There are those twins, they are right next to each other, wearing gray."  We turned around and said, "They are ours."  It was kind of funny.  Brooks and Adlyn made it on stage, but I knew they didn't want to be there.  Adlyn basically hid behind Brooks.  They kept searching for us in the massive audience.  Adlyn eventually spotted us, and towards the end, Brooks spotted us as well.  They didn't really sing, and they did some of the hand motions on a microscopic level.  I was proud of them.  Good work A&B!  Eventually they were done and we grabbed them as they hopped off the stage.  We survived.  We ate some cookies in the lobby and Brooks actually had some interest in seeing Santa. 

The day was done, and I realized, this is just the first of many music programs over the next 15 years.  We captured some video, and I'm sure they would love to see it when they are older. 

No comments:

Post a Comment