Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Your Daughter's Eye is Super-Glued Shut

And now...for the first story that took place that made me realize, I really need to start writing a blog.

First, you must understand that I have only been away from home for a week at a time only twice in my working life.  Once was to California for a conference when I was just a few weeks pregnant with the twins.  Since the twins have been born, I have only been away from them for one night when I had to be gone for work, and I was home by 9 AM the next morning.  The kids were about 6 months old at the time and I really didn't want to leave them.  The second time I was gone for a week was this January when I went to Phoenix for a conference.  Brooks and Adlyn had recently turned two years old, and now I could come up with a lot of reasons as to why going to this conference for a week would be good for me.
1.  I could really use a break.
2.  It will be good for me to know that my husband is fully capable of taking care of all of their needs for one whole week.
3.  This conference is going to be very good for my job.
(not necessarily in that order)

The conference was great, and I was ready to come home on Friday, January 28.  Unfortunately, my flight leaving Phoenix was late, which caused me to miss my flight from Denver to home so that I could arrive to the house just prior to Brooks and Adlyn's bed time.  I had to catch the really late flight home, and came home to quiet house of two sleeping kids. 

I was excited to see my husband, Zach, and we caught up on the happenings of the day.  Then, he mentioned to me, "Adlyn's eye is super-glued shut."  What??!?!?!  The first thing that pops in my head is a trip to the Emergency Room!  Story goes...they were downstairs playing in the basement and Zach must of been tying flies or something along that nature.  They got a hold of the super-glue on the laundry room shelves, somehow opened the container, and Adlyn ends up with her eye glued shut.  I don't know how we lucked out, but the glue never touched her eye-ball...which would have required a trip to the ER.  Now that I am home, I try to assess the situation but Adlyn is sleeping so we'll have to wait until morning.  You have to understand that by now I am really missing the kids and can't wait to see them when they wake up.  The next morning, Adlyn is up, and only about a 1/4 of her eye can be cracked open.  Her eyelashes are glued every which way, and the upper and bottom eyelids are mostly sealed.  Not exactly how you want to see your daughter after a week!  I have to say, her eye looked like a matted eye of a cat.

Zach and I were brainstorming as to how we go about fixing her eye.  Of course, the only things we can think of to remove super glue would be very bad for us to rub on it, especially if that got on her eye ball.  (Fingernail polish, Goof-Off, etc.)  Zach decides to post the situation on Facebook, and we got a really great suggestion that morning from a friend - vegetable oil.  Ta-dah!  That worked pretty good.  At least she can see better now.  We continue to use the vegetable oil throughout the day and the next.  By Sunday, she can open her eye.  Hooray - my daughter is back to almost normal!  At least I can take her out in public without feeling like a bad parent.

It is now two months later and there are still remnants of the super glue on her upper eyelashes.  She refuses to let us touch it.  This past weekend I tried showing her how cool it is to use an eyelash comb.  Of course Brooks was all about it, but Adlyn didn't let me come near her eye with it...  I just hope it wears off by the time she goes to Kindergarten!

So back to the beginning of the story, maybe I shouldn't have went to the conference, in reference to reason number two. 

There you have it - my first blog entry about the twins.  Have a good evening.  It is after midnight and I should really go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, my eye was super glued shut once too! We were putting up the xmas tree and glueing together a broken ornament....

    ReplyDelete