Friday, April 1, 2011

Long Lunch

On March 21, 2011, I glance out my office window before I head home for lunch and notice the bumper on my car seems to be hanging low on one side.  I wasn't really surprised.  My car has 200,000+ miles on it, and its been around the block more than once since I got it the summer before college.  I could write a few stories about my car, but I will spare you for now!

So, I hop in my car to come home for lunch, after a few blocks, I hear a noise so I turn of the radio to pay closer attention to the sound coming from the front bumper area.  As I drive a few more blocks, it is getting worse.  By now, something is dragging, I'm picturing the whole bumper is dragging but I decide not to look.  I'm almost home, I can't stop now.  Then as I turn up the hill, there is definitely some metal dragging, and then, snap!  This time I do stop so I can pick up whatever fell off.  Luckily it was just a strip of metal that must attach the bumper to the frame.  By now I am just a few houses away from home and I pull into the driveway.  Yikes, my bumper is hanging low, and I'm going to have to show Zach this metal piece that fell off.  I'm convinced he'll tell me that I should have stopped several blocks back and walked home.

Before I get out of the car, Brooks is already out on the driveway.  We have a little problem with them being able to unlock the front door and they can escape in a blink of an eye.  Zach solved that issue by cutting some wedges out of wood.  One issue solved!

Then, I walk into the front room to tell Zach about my car.  But, I'm easily distracted by a puddle that Brooks left me to clean up, probably right before he went out the door to greet me.

Zach is in the kitchen so I advance to the next room, but am distracted once again.  I look at the leather couch and I don't like what I see.  Brooks and Adlyn have scratched all three seat cushions with their fingernails.  You'd think we had a cat, but we don't - we have two two-year olds that can do damage very quietly, only to be discovered by their parents at a later date. 

When it rains, it pours.  Which problem do we solve first?  Well, Zach cleans up the puddle made by Mr. Brooks, I proceed to find the leather conditioner to try to save our couch, and then all four of us head outside to assess the car. 

Luckily Zach was able to fix the car with a simple bolt that he had in the garage, and he had two little helpers to carry all of the tools needed to the car. 

By now my lunch hour is over, I think I grabbed some pretzels to eat on the way back.

I'd really like to come home for lunch sometime without anything to discover, fix, or solve.  You know, just sit down as a family and eat a meal.  I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

Just to note, the couch was scratched again on March 29.  I'm thinking about looking into declawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment