Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chucky Doll

Our household version
of the Chucky Doll
I think every family must have one toy that seems to freak out the parents more than the children.  In our house, it is this Fisher Price Laugh & Learn talking dog. 

In the eyes of the child, and grandparents, this dog can sing, laugh, say phrases, and light up.  What could be better than this?

Well, I think any toy is better than this.  To my husband and I, it is the toy that haunted us in the middle of the night when the twins were under the age of one. 

Let me explain...

All the toys sit in the front room of the house, and with two infants, it is not unusual to be up 3-5 (or more) times during the night.  On several occasions, we would exit our room quietly to go to the kitchen to get a bottle in pure darkness so we wouldn't cause any more disruption than a crying baby is already causing.  This Fisher Price dog is very sensitive, and seems to activate itself by the subtle vibrations in the floor.  Not to mention, this dog would often say to us, "Peek-a-boo, I see you!".  Ugh!  That phrase might be fine to a child during the day, but I don't want to hear that in the middle of the night!

I had the toy boxed up for a while, but when sorting through the toys a few months ago to take some to the church thrift store, Adlyn found the dog and fell in love with it.  Great, it missed its trip to a new home!  I've also learned another lesson, never sort through toys when your children are awake.  Everything you planned to giveaway will become their new best friend.  The Fisher Price dog will have to wait for its next trip to the thrift store, only to haunt the little old church lady who will be sorting through toys late one night...

No comments:

Post a Comment