Sunday, November 27, 2011

Preschool

Last week we took a brief tour of the preschool that Brooks and Adlyn will be going to in January, once they turn three.  I've had a few realizations about preschool. 

1.  How in the world are we going to get the kids to preschool by 8:30 AM?  On the day of our tour, we were to be there at 9:30 AM.  It was everything we could do to get out the door to be there on time.  We will need a schedule overhaul before January!

2.  I'm not for sure how Brooks is going to do.  I don't think he is going to want to go.  The morning of, he told me several times, "No drop off."  This little guy, he is rarely away from Zach or I, or are kind neighbors, family, or previous babysitter.  He hasn't been in a single situation where he hasn't been directly with one of the people listed in the above categories.  (Except in the hospital for five weeks where I left them during the evenings so I could sleep.)

3.  Originally, the preschool wanted to split the kids up in different classrooms.  Ummmm, no thank you.  I disagreed and I think they have to listen to my request.  We should finalize everything this Friday.  Honestly though, based on reason #2, if you separate Brooks from Adlyn, he will never want to go to school, ever, and there is no way he would even get in the car to go to school.  I don't think he will only play with Adlyn, but, if he just knows she is close by, then he should do better.

4.  Who knew that before they turned three, I'd be consulting other friends and teachers about the advantages/disadvantages of splitting twins up in the classroom.  There are differing opinions, and I'm not an expert, but I will learn first hand!  Then, can you really compare identical twins to fraternal twins in this case regarding classrooms?  I don't think so. 

5.  I'm not so sure I'm ready for them to venture into the preschool world, even if it is only two morning a week.  I think they will benefit from playing with other kids and it will help their vocabulary, but, my mind also thinks about the hundred things they will learn from other kids that I prefer them not to know.  I like knowing that they have a small world where we, as parents, have the biggest influence on them.  I think they are well-mannered and well-behaved children, and I don't want that to change.  Deep down, I know that this step will be good for them and will help them develop in many ways that we can't at home.

We'll see what January brings for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment